Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Yosemite


Alas, I didn’t get to see any bears in Yosemite. Or rather, I did but only ones climbing in an out of car windows on the promotional videos shown to alarm new guests at the Curry Village camping ground.

It felt almost military, assiduously obeying the finer details of how to keep these invisible bears at bay. Absolutely nothing to be left in your car; no food, no toiletries, no drinks, no trash. All food and odorous items to be stored overnight in lockers outside the tent door, only water to be taken inside. Most exciting. It felt hardy and noble to be camping, too. Even though I had to insist, for an extra 30 dollars, so I could get at least some sleep, that my tent - equipped like all the tents with bouncy mattress and bed - be a heated one.

Despite the bear disappointment, Yosemite was definitely worth the drive. All the sickly sweet, tourist guff you’re liable to encounter about the ‘Spirit of Yosemite’. It’s all true. That said, if you want to see the waterfalls - a major highlight – you need to go, as I did, before the summer, when the mountain snows haven’t finished melting. Best to go, too, during the week, unless you have a particular desire for human beings amidst your cliffs and redwoods.

4 comments:

Selena Dreamy said...

Glorious!

(are you alone, or travellng in company?)

D.

Jonathan said...

Regrettably, I left Yosemite and returned to Kuwait seven weeks ago!:)

When I was there I was alone, and went there by car. Of course 'alone' isn't entirely true since I have a habit of finding it pretty easy striking up chats with random wanderers when I go wandering.

Actually, I feel ok about being back in Kuwait now, but didn't to begin with. I very nearly didn't come back!

Have you been to Yosemite, or California, Dreamy?

Anonymous said...

Invisible bears, there's an interesting premise for a novel...

Selena Dreamy said...

Oh yes, I've been to California a number of times. But nothing more rural than Fisherman's Wharf in SF's "tenderlooin" district, I'm afraid, and the Beverly Wilshire in LA, where I was making commercials at the time...

D.